Whole Grain Morning Glory Muffins
(Gluten free with vegan and low-FODMAP options)
When you have to make changes to your diet — especially if you have to eliminate some of your favorite foods — sometimes all you need is one tasty snack to help you adjust. These muffins are great because they are sweet enough to feel a bit indulgent while offering a lot of nutrition. And, they can be prepared to fit within many different types of elimination diets. If you like them I recommend making a large batch and freezing them so you can have them on hand whenever you need them. You can defrost them a few hours ahead of time, or heat them in the oven because they taste especially good warm!
Makes 20 – 24 muffins
- 11⁄2 cups brown rice flour
- 1⁄2 cup each flour: quinoa, sorghum, sweet potato, teff (or use your own favorite gluten free mix)
- 1⁄2 tsp xanthan gum
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 cup melted unsalted butter —or— 3⁄4 cup melted palm or coconut oil + 1⁄4 cup water
- 3⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3⁄4 cup maple syrup
- 1⁄2 cup milk —or— milk substitute
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 eggs —or— 1⁄4 cup flax meal whisked with 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 cup grated carrots
- 1 cup grated zucchini
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1⁄2 cup chopped toasted walnuts
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
Low FODMAP option: blueberries
- 1⁄4 cup toasted coconut flakes
Low FODMAP option: chopped, roasted pecans
- 1 tart apple, unpeeled, cored, and finely chopped
low FODMAP option: sliced strawberries or pineapple
- Preheat the oven to 350˚ F.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flours, xanthan gum, cinnamon, salt and baking soda and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk the butter, oil, sugar, maple syrup, vanilla and eggs or flax meal. Add the flour mixture and stir until evenly moistened.
- Fold in the vegetables, orange zest, nuts and fruit and stir until combined.
- Pour batter into 20 paper-lined muffin tins and bake until cooked, about 30–35 minutes.
- Remove the muffins from the oven and after 5 minutes transfer them to a wire rack to cool.
© 2014, R. Sudduth, MS, RDN, Original recipe